BROKEN FLOWERS- Jim Jarmusch
Shattuck Theater, Berk-
Welcome, bienvenue… Here you’ll find some comments about movies, books, and music. I’ll try to limit it to that. There should be spoilers all over the place, so be wary of what you read- at any moment we may all be ruined. If you DO read something, leave a comment to set straight whatever preposterous thing I wrote. It’s half in jest anyway, so everybody sit back, relax, and let’s watch the moon rot.
The walls of the theater were decorated in an Egyptian style that I can only assume was authentic. Hieroglyphs adorned the walls, and statues, back stuck to the block, kept watch over the seating. When the screen went dark, pin-on stars lit up the ceiling. It all lent a feeling of otherness, of being out of place. And hey, look at the movie! Now it seems there is a similar hazy sense of place. I always watched the other Jarmusch movies safe at home in the North East, and never thought much of it. But out west, coming in off frontier streets, it seemed that Broken Flowers was terribly New York City. No, I don’t know exactly what this means. It doesn’t even take place there (quite frankly I don’t know where it does). I can say that I consider the Star Wars series (all 6) to be consummate examples of the California Movie. Seriously, visiting the state it almost felts like I was running around in that galaxy far, far away, and now I understand the movie(s) in a whole new light. It’s like the main quest of the movie: Don Johnston (Bill Murray) gets a letter (or say, watches a movie) of unknown provenance then goes off to find out who it’s from- flying to a bunch of towns he knows nothing about, visiting the women there who he also knows nothing about... except for some vague idea of how they once were. The problem is that he never stays long enough to learn adapt to the surroundings. He stays a rude intrusion (A yankee out west, a movie theater in ancient Egypt) and can’t notice anything more than “this is a very New York movie.”
Somebody, somewhere called Broken Flowers another “hipster road-trip,” the latest in a long line by the J-man. In a way it fits fairly well: Don Johnston (the hipster) goes off traveling, but never really gets over his hip detached pose, and as a result doesn’t come any closer to solving The Great Mystery... Ha!
Welcome, bienvenue… Here you’ll find some comments about movies, books, and music. I’ll try to limit it to that. There should be spoilers all over the place, so be wary of what you read- at any moment we may all be ruined. If you DO read something, leave a comment to set straight whatever preposterous thing I wrote. It’s half in jest anyway, so everybody sit back, relax, and let’s watch the moon rot.
The walls of the theater were decorated in an Egyptian style that I can only assume was authentic. Hieroglyphs adorned the walls, and statues, back stuck to the block, kept watch over the seating. When the screen went dark, pin-on stars lit up the ceiling. It all lent a feeling of otherness, of being out of place. And hey, look at the movie! Now it seems there is a similar hazy sense of place. I always watched the other Jarmusch movies safe at home in the North East, and never thought much of it. But out west, coming in off frontier streets, it seemed that Broken Flowers was terribly New York City. No, I don’t know exactly what this means. It doesn’t even take place there (quite frankly I don’t know where it does). I can say that I consider the Star Wars series (all 6) to be consummate examples of the California Movie. Seriously, visiting the state it almost felts like I was running around in that galaxy far, far away, and now I understand the movie(s) in a whole new light. It’s like the main quest of the movie: Don Johnston (Bill Murray) gets a letter (or say, watches a movie) of unknown provenance then goes off to find out who it’s from- flying to a bunch of towns he knows nothing about, visiting the women there who he also knows nothing about... except for some vague idea of how they once were. The problem is that he never stays long enough to learn adapt to the surroundings. He stays a rude intrusion (A yankee out west, a movie theater in ancient Egypt) and can’t notice anything more than “this is a very New York movie.”
Somebody, somewhere called Broken Flowers another “hipster road-trip,” the latest in a long line by the J-man. In a way it fits fairly well: Don Johnston (the hipster) goes off traveling, but never really gets over his hip detached pose, and as a result doesn’t come any closer to solving The Great Mystery... Ha!
Libellés : movies

0 Comments:
Enregistrer un commentaire
<< Home